Keep chocolate out of paws’ reach from pets this Easter

Natures Menu is warning owners about the dangers of chocolate toxicity for dogs over Easter.

The UK’s number one for raw and natural pet food is calling for owners to keep their chocolate out of paws reach over the holiday season to avoid their dog getting ill.

Melanie Sainsbury, Veterinary Education Manager for Natures Menu, explains the hazards chocolate possess to dogs: “While humans know that easting too much chocolate over Easter can cause them to feel sick, many are unaware that just one bite of chocolate could prove fatal for dogs. It’s down to the toxic ingredient called theobromine, a naturally occurring chemical found in cocoa beans, which can cause kidney failure, seizures and even death.

“The amount of theobromine in chocolate varies, however darker chocolate tends to contain higher-levels than milk or white chocolate. Humans are able to metabolise theobromine, but dogs lack the vital enzyme required to break it down effectively, which is why it can be really dangerous if consumed. With this in mind, make sure you keep chocolate out of sight and smell from furry friends.

“While the Easter bunny is busy delivering treats, it doesn’t mean that we have to leave our canine companions out of the celebrations. You can look to satisfy them with a dog friendly treat, such as our brand-new Country Hunter Chewy Superfood Bars. These bars are suitable for all dogs and made with great tasting natural ingredients, while being rich in protein.”

Natures Menu has offered its top tips to help dog owners avoid and unexpected trip to the vets this Easter, as well as the symptoms to look out for to identify if your dog is suffering from chocolate toxicity.

Symptoms

The effects of chocolate poisoning in dogs usually appear within 12 hours and can last up to three days. These include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Retching
  • Collapse
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Death

Top tips

  1. Keep your chocolate out of paws’ reach. If you have a dog that can sniff out the sweet stuff, keep it out of sight and smell.
  2. Never feed your dog chocolate intended for humans. Make sure you have a dog-friendly treat available, so they don’t feel left out.
  3. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, don’t panic. Call your vet immediately for advice and make sure you have the packaging to hand.

Natures Menu’s Country Hunter Superfood Bars are grain and gluten free and naturally gentle on digestion, making them ideal for dogs with sensitive tummies and allergies.

For more information on Country Hunter Superfood Bars and Natures Menu you can visit www.naturesmenu.co.uk.