New data reveals a third of people in UK putting their pets at risk of CO poisoning

New research shows that UK pet owners spend almost 2K a year on their pets, but almost a third don’t have a £15 carbon monoxide alarm.

The research from the new CO Be Alarmed! Campaign by Energy UK shows that despite being a nation of animal lovers, 29% of us could be putting our pets at risk from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

To mark National Pet Month, Energy UK has launched the new CO Be Alarmed! campaign to highlight the dangers of carbon monoxide to pets.

Abbie Sampson CO Be Alarmed! a spokesperson said: “Carbon Monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because you can’t see it, smell it or taste it – and that doesn’t just apply to us, our pets are at risk too.

“If CO is present in the home, everyone is at risk, and pets and children can be the first to show signs of CO poisoning. As pets are often left in confined spaces for extended periods of time, they can be particularly vulnerable.”

The new survey found that UK pet owners leave their pets at home alone for an average of three hours every day.

While nearly all pet owners (98%) believe that their pets are safe at home, nearly a third (28%) worry about the wellbeing of their pet at least once a day and over a third (36%) of UK pet owners have left a social outing early because they wanted to get home to their pet.

Despite this, nearly a third (39%) either don’t have, or know if they have, an inexpensive life-saving CO alarm. And of those who have an alarm, almost one in ten (8%) have never tested it or simply don’t know when it was last checked.

Carbon monoxide can be omitted by everyday household objects, like poorly maintained or faulty boilers or gas cookers, so as CO alarm is essential to make sure everyone is protected in the home.

Around 30 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning and another 4,000 are treated in hospital, but the true number is likely to be higher with early symptoms, including headaches dizziness, nausea and breathless, easily mistaken for flu or tiredness.

Abbie added: “Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal but there are some simple, inexpensive steps that can protect everyone in your home. Follow our simple ABC checklist – Do you have an Alarm fitted? Have you tested it and are the Batteries working? Have you had an up-to-date gas Check? – will help keep you and your pets safe from CO poisoning?”

To raise awareness of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning to pets in the home, the CO Be Alarmed! Campaign is asking pet owners to post pictures of their pets with their #PawsUp to show they’re safe from CO.

For more information visit the CO Be Alarmed! Instagram or Facebook pages and find out how to stay safe visit www.co-bealarmed.co.uk.