Halloween may be celebrated as the spookiest night of the year, but it doesn’t have to be that way for your dog.
While the scary celebrations can provide plenty of fun for all the family. It’s important to make sure that your pet is having fun too.
Nathalie Ingham, Canine Behaviour and Training Manager at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home said: “Dogs can get stressed by lots of things at Halloween. Dressing your dog up in extravagant costumes could make them feel uncomfortable and trick-or-treaters constantly at your door could cause them to feel anxious. Thankfully there’s plenty of tips you can follow to keep your dog safe and calm this Halloween.”
Dressing your dog up
Although it may be tempting to dress your dog up in a costume, we would recommend that you avoid doing so. Wearing an outfit when they’re not used to it can make your pet very anxious.
Trick or Treaters
Whilst it is lovely to see all of the fantastic outfits that come to the door, they can scare even the most sociable dogs. Try to ensure you take your dog for a walk nice and early in the day to give them a chance to go out before all the trick or treating starts.
Provide dogs with a safe space in a separate area from the front door, to prevent them from becoming overwhelmed by the increased activity at your door. Try to provide them with something to keep them busy like a food toy.
Make sure your dog is microchipped and wearing a tagged collar
Whilst you should try to ensure you keep your pet away from the front door while you’re greeting visitors, accidents happen and there is still a possibility that your dog could escape. Make sure that your dog is microchipped and their details are up-to-date, as well as ensuring they’re wearing a tagged collar so that you can be quickly reunited if they do get out.
Halloween is a great excuse for humans to eat plenty of sweet confectionary. But make sure to keep your pet away from any human treats, as many of them are poisonous to dogs. Chocolate and alcohol could be fatal if your dog consumes them. Even if your pet gets hold of a non-toxic sweet, the wrapping could be a choking hazard or cause a blockage in their intestines. If you’re your pet has eaten anything that they shouldn’t have done, always act immediately and take your dog to the vet.
For more information you can visit www.battersea.org.uk.