Charity vets warning after dog eats 100 slug pellets

PDSA vets are warning pet owners about garden dangers after a five-year old dog ate over 100 slug pellets.

Crossbreed Milo mistook the toxic pellets, found in the family garden for a dog-friendly meal and the pup’s owner, Zoe Earle of Southampton, rushed him to vets for emergency treatment.

Milo has now made a full recovery thanks to vets at PDSA and Vets Now.

It was touch-and-go, but after days of intensive care from the PDSA team, alongside out-of-hours care from vets, now, Milo miraculously survived his awful ordeal.

Alexandra Banu, a vet at PDSA Southampton, said: “Slug pellets can be fatal in a matter of hours, as they are highly toxic. On Milo’s arrival we were unsure if he wold survive, but everyone involved in his care was determined to do everything they could to give him the best chance.”

Milo’s owner Zoe had been clearing out her garage and left the slug pellets in a garden pot but didn’t notice Milo had eaten them.

Later Milo began to vomit, and Zoe realised he had swallowed the poisonous pellets. At this point he began to shake uncontrollably, as the poison entered his blood stream.

Acting fast, Zoe took Milo into Vets Now out-of-hours practice to seek urgent veterinary care. She said: “They did everything they possibly could. He started twitching really badly so they sedated him to try and stop him going into a full seizure. This wasn’t enough, and he also needed a special drip into his vein to stop the seizures and keep him safe throughout the night.”

Incredibly, Milo survived the night, and the next morning he was transferred to Southampton PDSA Pet Hospital for continued care.

“An intensive level of care was given to Milo from both veterinary teams at PDSA and Vets Now,” added Alexandra. “But after more than 24 hours with no signs of improvement by the next morning, things weren’t looking good. If there was no improvement by the next morning, the family would have to make the terrible decision to put him to sleep.”

The next morning, the family visited Milo at PDSA expecting to say their goodbyes. But instead they were greeted by a smiling vet who reported that Milo had made some great improvements overnight.

The plucky pooch was finally showing signs of pulling through and was on track to make a miracle recovery.

Zoe added: “We went in to see him and I don’t know who was more pleased – him to see us, or us to see him. He was still pretty drowsy, but we were able to take him home later in th

Slug pellets like the ones Milo ate.

e afternoon and I just felt a huge sense of relief. By the next morning, he was pretty much back to normal.”

PDSA say that slug pellets are incredibly dangerous for dogs. Even very small amounts can be fatal. Zoe says she feels extremely guilty about Milo’s near-death experience.

“I went off to the rubbish tip and forgot about the pellets. I don’t think Milo would touch them, but at some point, that afternoon Milo found the pot and ate every single one.” Zoe said.

Two weeks later, a recovered Milo and Zoe visited PDSA again for his booster vaccinations and the vets and staff were delighted to see him on his feet again.

Zoe added: “The PDSA were truly amazing. We can’t thank them enough. The family have recently celebrated five years with Milo. It’s due to the care and fantastic work of PDSA, and all the vets and nurses who helped treat him that he’s here today. Milo was lucky to survive something as serious as this.”

PDSA vets are warning green-fingered pet owners to try and use pet-safe products in their gardens. If slug pellets must be used, they should be kept well out of paws reach, and block access to any treated area.

For more expert advice, including signs and symptoms that your pet might have eaten something they shouldn’t, visit www.pdsa.org.uk/poisons.