Natural animal company, nutravet highlight the benefits of joint care for puppies to keep your dog active througout their life
Many pet owners think that it’s only older dogs that need support for their joints, however puppies can also benefit from joint supplementation.
It’s reported that 4 out of 5 older dogs have a joint disease, such as osteoarthritis. However, the condition can develop from an early age following problems with bone and joint development.
As arthritis is a degenerative disease and there is no cure, giving your puppy the best possible start to life is crucial to try and avoid the problems that reduce mobility and cause stiff joints.
nutravet advise that maintaining a dog’s optimum joint health is key and supporting their joint structure as they grow can help to maintain their quality of life.
To help pet owners support their puppy in the early years, nutravet have highlighted some tips:
- Feed your puppy a good quality diet and ensure your puppy maintains a good weight for their breed and size. Excess weight can put pressure on their joints.
- Don’t over exercise your puppy. Although it may be tempting as they have lots of energy, too much exercise can damage their joints. According to The Kennel Club, puppies should get five minutes of exercise per month of age, up to twice daily.
- Long walks or runs should be avoided in the early stages. Mild exercise regimes, together with a balanced diet are all part of a sensible and responsible way to care for your new puppy.
- Avoid encouraging your new pet to jump up at you on their hind legs as this can put uneven stress on both hind and front legs at a young age.
- A natural supplement that contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin can help to maintain healthy joint function in your puppy.
- Speak to your vet, as they will be able to assess how your pet interacts with you as an owner, or as a family so they can give you the appropriate, contextual, advice on joint health.
Matthew Shaw, Managing Director at nutravet, said: “Many dog owners see joint stiffness as a problem in order pets, as they assume it’s something that comes with ageing. However, it’s just as important to ensure your new puppy has joint support as they grow. As a pet owner, maintaining your pet’s optimum joint health also helps to maintain their quality of life with and provide a better foundation as your dog gets older.
“A fast acting, high strength joint supplement like nutraquin contains the necessary high-quality ingredients that help to maintain healthy joint function in dogs. nutraquin contains 100% active ingredients, without any bulking agents or fillers, so you know exactly what you are giving your puppy.
For more information on nutraquin or the nutravet range, you can visit www.nutravet.co.uk