Keep paws off Easter treats

Price comparison website, MoneySuperMarket is urging pet owners to take caution and avoid letting their furry friends indulge in chocolate eggs this weekend.

Since the start of the global pandemic, Brits have welcomed an additional 3.2 million pets into their homes according to the Pet Food Manufacturers Association (PFMA).

With many pets set to enjoy their first Easter as part of a new household, MoneySuperMarket is offering a timely warning on the dangers of letting pets try even a small bite of chocolate meant for human consumption.

Easter is one of the busiest times of year for incidents of chocolate poisoning in pets as owners indulge their pets in a little treat. However, they could potentially be putting their pet at risk of serious poisoning with potential side effects including vomiting, abnormal heart rate, and in some cases even death.

MoneySuperMarket’s pet insurance expert, Rose Howarth offers her top tips for keeping your pet safe this Easter:

Keep Easter treats away from your pets – The reason chocolate is so dangerous for pets is the ingredient theobromine which is highly toxic to both dogs and cats. Levels of theobromine can very between different chocolate types, however it is far safer to avoid giving your pet any chocolate meant for human consumption. No matter how well behaved your pets are, store any chocolate-ty treats out of the reach of your pets.

Avoid giving chocolate to children when pets are around – In the fun of handing out Easter eggs, it can be easy to forget to remind children not to share their treats with their beloved pets. Ideally avoid having treats near to hand when children are around their pets.

Take care if doing an egg hunt – Great fun for all the family, but if your pet is in the room or garden with you during an egg hunt, be sure to get to the eggs first. It is also a good idea to count your eggs back in so none are left out to be discovered later.

Be careful with decoration that pets could choke on – Easter 2021 appears to be one of the most popular years for Easter decorations. Just like Christmas time, it is important to keep any small items pets could choke on out of their reach. Small decorative eggs could be the perfect size to cause any airway restriction if swallowed.

Rose commented: “If you really want to treat your pet this Easter, why not buy them some new pet safe treats, or a new toy to play with. Even the smallest taste of chocolate could make your pet poorly, and potentially lead to a trip to the vets.

“Doing all you can to avoid your pet getting hold of Easter treats sounds simple but could save not only a lot of upset and stress, but also avoid the risk of long-term health implications, for worse for your pet. If your pet does get poorly and you think they might have eaten chocolate, or if you know your pet has eaten chocolate, don’t hesitate to contact your vet for advice. If you have a pet insurance policy in place, this will offer you and your pet a level of protection for any treatment required.”