Owner failed to get vet treatment for his cat’s broken pelvis

A Southport man has been given a decade-long ban on keeping animals after he failed to take his cat to the vet when she was in pain and suffering from a broken pelvis.

Orrin Lloyd (DOB 24/11/189) of Scarisbrick Avenue was sentenced at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 15 July.  He was found guilty of failing to get veterinary care and attention for his cat’s severe injuries at an earlier hearing (Wednesday 2 June).

The court heard how his cat, called Puss, was taken to the vets by a witness who saw the young tabby could not stand up. They found Puss was in pain when she moved and when her abdomen was felt. She was given pain relief and RSPCA Inspector Joanne McDonald, who led the investigation for the animal welfare charity, transferred her to the RSPCA’s Greater Manchester Animal Hospital for further examination.

X-rays revealed the young cat’s left hip socket was fractured and both sides of her pubic bones were fractured into multiple pieces.

At the time vets were unsure if Puss would recover as she had limited mobility and was unable to toilet properly. They prescribed the young tabby and white cat weeks of pain relief and strict cage rest.

After two weeks in the animal hospital however there was a marked improvement in her comfort levels and demeanor – she had become more affectionate, looking for attention and was purring. Puss had a further six weeks of strict cage rest at the RSPCA’s Warrington branch where she continued to make excellent progress and her fractures healed well.

A veterinary report presented to the court explained that: “Puss was clearly suffering and in a state of extreme physical and emotional distress on presentation to RSPCA care.  Despite hospitalisation and the administration of strong painkillers for a prolonged period of time, it took 15 days for the cat to reach a point in her recovery where she could be discharged from the RSPCA’s animal hospital.”

The report described how Puss was in so much pain that it was preventing her from passing urine or faeces and would leave her feeling bloated with discomfort in her abdomen.

The report continued: “Following observing her at the RSPCA animal centre during her recovery, it is clear she has a friendly, gentle and outgoing demeanour and that the injuries she sustained had significantly impacted on her physical and mental wellbeing.”

Alongside the 10-year-ban from keeping all animals, Lloyd was sentenced to a 12-month community order and he must complete 30 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and 80 hours of unpaid work. He must also pay costs of £500 and a victim surcharge of £95.

Puss, now called Matilda, has been happily rehomed to a loving new family.

After the sentencing, Inspector McDonald said: “Pet-owners have a legal responsibility to ensure their animals do not suffer but sadly Lloyd failed in this duty towards his pet. It’s completely unacceptable to leave any animal to suffer in this way and we will always look into reports of animal cruelty and, where necessary, seek justice for that animal”.

Joanna added: “Puss did so well in RSPCA care and I would like to thank our vets and our Warrington branch who looked after her during her long road to recovery. I am pleased she has now found a lovely new home where she can live happily.”