Charity vets save puppy’s life after bourbon biscuit binge

A 15-week old puppy, who needed life-saving treatment after eating a double pack of bourbon biscuits, has survived thanks to PDSA vets.

The biscuits contain a potentially lethal dose of chocolate, but thanks to the quick action of PDSA vets, puppy Zeena us back home recovering from her ordeal.

Zeena’s owner Miss Jo Higgs from Boscombe in Bournemouth, said: “I’d been out on the school run and returned home to find the chewed up, empty packets of bourbon biscuits on the kitchen floor. I think my daughter had taken them out of the cupboard and accidentally left them on the side.

“I didn’t realise bourbon biscuits could be so dangerous for dogs, but when she started acting strangely and her tummy appeared bloated, I knew something was horribly wrong.”

Worried that their beloved family pet, Jo rang her local PDSA Pet Hospital, who told her to bring Zeena in straight away. Once there, Zeena was given emergency treatment by PDSA vet Paul Cossey.

She received medication to make her sick and prevent further absorption of theobromine, the chemical in chocolate that can be fatally toxic to pets and put on a drip to flush any remaining toxins out of her body.

Zeena was transferred to out-of-hours provider, Vets Now, for close monitoring overnight before she was able to go home the following day.

Vet Paul said: “Chocolate can be extremely poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts can be dangerous – just a small bar of dark chocolate contains enough to be fatal to a small dog such as a Yorkshire Terrier.

“Zeena had eaten three grams of chocolate, which could have killed her without treatment, as she’s a puppy. Thankfully, we were able to provide life-saving treatment before it was too late.”

Zeena’s owner Jo added: “I was terrified she wasn’t going to make it, so I’m incredibly grateful to all the team at PDSA, they were absolutely fantastic. I can’t thank them enough for saving Zeena.”

Jo now wants to tell Zeena’s story to warn other owners to keep chocolate biscuits, or any kind of chocolate, well out of paws’ reach.

Paul added: “Lots of food that we consider a tasty treat can be deadly for our pets. These include chocolate, grapes, currents and raisins and some nuts. Onions, garlic and chives can also be poisonous, so it’s important to be clued up on what your pets can or can’t eat. If you think your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t, speak to your vet immediately.”

For further information including signs and symptoms to look out for, visit www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/pet-health-hub.