RSPCA warning after three cats die of suspected antifreeze poisoning

The RSPCA is appealing for information following the deaths of three pets in a Leicestershire town.

The animal welfare charity has issued a warning to cat owners in a Leicestershire town after three pets died from suspected antifreeze poisoning within days of each other.

Ronnie and Reggie

Kelly Braund of Mill Lane, in Earl Shilton, told how both her cats, Reggie and Ronnie, died within days of each other after ingesting a toxin which is believed to have been antifreeze.

Reggie died on Friday, August 9 while Ronnie died just days later on Tuesday, August 14. Kelly said she had taken Ronnie to the vets to be put to sleep the same day she arranged to pick up Reggie’s ashes.

The distraught 28-year-old said: “I knew something was not right when Reggie came in from outside and he was frothing at the mouth and was sick. I kept an eye on him and was checking his body when I felt him go limp. I rushed him to the vets and they said he had ingested a toxin.

“He was given some medication but about an hour or two later his breathing was shallow, and he began fitting. The vet old me because of the discomfort he was in the kindest thing to do would be to put him to sleep.”

Kelly was grieving the loss of one cat, when her second cat, Ronnie also fell ill. She was keeping a close eye on Ronnie after what happened to Reggie and only a few days later he started salivating.

Kelly said: “He had no symptoms his brother had, but I took him to the vets just to be on the safe side. I was shocked when they told me his kidneys were failing due to suspected poisoning and they had no choice but to put him to sleep. I was so distraught, losing one cat was bad enough, but to lose two within days was truly horrendous.

“In both cases, the vets said they suspected antifreeze poisoning was to blame so I am hoping by sharing what has happened it will raise awareness of the problem.”

Shane Bignull, who lives in nearby Earl Street, also told how he found his cat, Clive collapsed in his garden and he was so ill he also had to be put to sleep, just two days before the death of Kelly’s first cat.

Shane said: “Clive just didn’t’ seem well and then he went out in the garden, when he didn’t return I went outside to look got him and found him collapsed. We took him to the vets, but he was dying in front of us and sadly the decision was made to put him to sleep.

“The vets told us that tests showed he died from antifreeze poisoning and then I found out about the other two cats who dies in similar circumstances.”

RSPCA Chief Inspector Jim Lucas, who is investigating these cases, has issued a warning to all cat owners in the area and is also keen for anyone with information to get in touch.

He said: “As there have now been three suspected antifreeze poisonings in the area we would urge all cat owners to keep a close eye on their pets and their behaviour and if they suspect they have been poisoned we would always advise they seek immediate medical attention.

“We would also ask people who are using antifreeze to make sure they are extremely careful in their storage of it and how they dispose of it. At this stage we cannot rule out the possibility that this is intentional poisoning.”

If anyone has any information that could help with the RSPCA investigation, they should call 0300 123 8018.