Warning to dog walkers after Jack Russell terrier swallows fish hook

A dog had a narrow escape after sniffing out a tasty treat while out on a walk and getting a fish hook embedded in his jaw.

Jack Russell terrier Armarni was rushed into the Blue Cross animal hospital in Merton, south west London, by his owner after he swallowed a fish hook near a lake in Dorking.

X-rays showed the large metal hook in Armarni’s stomach and vets set about removing it using an endoscope while he was under general anaesthetic.

Vets said Armarni was lucky as the hook could have caused irreparable damage to his throat and stomach.

Following his operation, Armarni was able to go home and has made a full recovery.

Blue Cross has warned dog owners to be vigilant when out on walks but also called on fishermen to ensure they keep fishing tackle and bait nearby and also to dispose of it properly afterwards to prevent such incidents.

Elise Smith, Deputy Nurse Manager at Blue Cross animal hospital in Merton, said: “Armarni was sedated and thanks to the X-rays we were able to quickly locate the hook and remove it.

“He was very lucky as it could have caused irreparable damage to his oesophagus and could have proved fatal. Dog walkers should be vigilant when out on walks while fishermen should think to dispose of their fishing tackle in a responsible manner as it can be dangerous to not only dogs out walking but other wildlife too.”